5 Jul 2017

Comparison Review of Soothing Gel: Nature Republic Soothing & Moisture Aloe Vera 92% Soothing Gel, The Face Shop Damyang Bamboo 99% Fresh Soothing Gel, Mamonde Rose Water Multi Soothing Gel, and Tony Moly Cucumber Water Gel


We ought to thank Nature Republic for bringing us the very affordable and multitasking soothing gel. I think if not for Nature Republic and its famous aloe vera gel, we won't have a "soothing gel" revolution across the beauty industry. A lot of brands are coming out with their own versions of soothing gel, with different ingredients of course. For instance, snail gel by Tony Moly, lotus and milk gels by The Face Shop, bamboo gel by Innisfree, aloe vera gel by Holika Holika, and so on. A lot of unimaginable ingredients are now in the form of gel, such as milk, snail and many more, so you know how popular soothing gel is.

But if you ask me, what's so special about soothing gel? I will say that it's a very reasonably priced all-you-can-use product. You can use it on almost every part of your body - hair, nail, face, body for additional soothing, calming, cooling and moisturizing benefits. It will also suit all skin types including acne-prone, oily and dry skin. I normally use it as a body moisturizer, sometimes also as a cooling gel on different parts of my body. I don't use it on my face because I have many other facial creams that are better and faster absorbing. And I don't feel so comfortable applying fragrance-laden gel that doesn't really do much to benefit my skin except for cooling it down. But for my body, these will be perfectly affordable little ones to calm and hydrate my skin.

Let's look at 4 soothing gel I have tried, I will begin with the most reputable Nature Republic Aloe Vera soothing gel:

Nature Republic Soothing & Moisture Aloe Vera 92% Soothing Gel



Nature Republic aloe vera soothing gel is the "ancestor" of all soothing gel. It is one of the most popular, if not one of the first, to launch the concept of soothing gel. Each pack comes in a big tub with 300ml of content inside. They normally smell heavily fragranced and feels really moisturizing and refreshing on the skin. They are priced around RM 32.90 officially but with discount you can get as low as RM 15 for Nature Republic.

Nature Republic is known for being a nice soothing and moisturizing gel. It is pretty lightweight as you can feel it melting on your hand but you can still feel moisture pumped into your skin.

Ingredients Analysis

This contains 92% aloe vera extract as well as a bunch of soothing, moisturizing and texture-ingredients. This uses alcohol as the solvent so it is very lightweight and refreshing when applied. However, it may not be best thing for you if you have sensitive or dry skin though. Perfect for summer and normal-to-oily skin. My friend's father loves using this as an all-over body moisturizer.

The Face Shop Damyang Bamboo 99% Fresh Soothing Gel


This is more viscous and bouncy than Nature Republic aloe vera. It smells heavily fragranced too, just like the Nature Republic one, so if you are into the scent, you'll be into this.


This is "purer" than the Nature Republic aloe vera gel because it contains 99% bamboo water to hydrate and soothe the skin. Bamboo is known for being a potent hydrating ingredient with anti-inflammatory and also anti-oxidizing properties. Alcohol is added as a solvent to give this product its unique soothing gel properties. And then we have all the standard moisturizers like glycerin, butylene glycol, dipropylene glycol, sodium hyaluronate, castor oil, and so on. There is nothing you are unfamiliar here, even the viscosity controls and preservatives are commonly found in many korean skincare, which is why they are kinda cheap. Except for these moisturizers and the bamboo water, you don't get any other benefits out of this, so I normally won't put it on my face.

I don't think this is very different than any other soothing gel, but I do feel that it is more moisturizing than the rest. I enjoy using it on my body for that moisturizing and cooling sensation. My skin also feels really smooth and refreshed after using.

Overall, a decent soothing gel if you are bored of Nature Republic aloe vera but I wouldn't say that it is a surprising finding and I still prefer Nature Republic because it is much more lightweight and hydrating and smell better of course.

Mamonde Rose Water Multi Soothing Gel


This is much more "gellish" than Nature Republic, but equally hydrating, refreshing and cooling. It also has a nice rose scent to it, although not authentically rose I must say.

Ingredients Analysis

Main ingredient is water, rose extract follows thereafter. Rose has its reputation as an astringent, moisturizing as well as wrinkles-repairing ingredient. Then we also have some other Mamonde flower extracts such as lotus, skullcap flower extract, and prune extract, all of which are anti-inflammatory ingredients.

I think there are much more skincare benefiting ingredients in this product than the rest. The texture and how it feels on my skin also makes me feel more comfortable putting it on my face. But I still don't find it performing that well if applied on my face compared to normal cream. And given the volume, I would still prefer having it on my body.

This Mamonde soothing gel is much more pricey than the rest, which is reflected in its ingredients. It also feels like a soft and moist gel cream, instead of a normal gel. I like how it feels on my skin and find it really hydrating and refreshing. However, I don't think it is that unique if compared to other soothing gel either. So I will still go back to Nature Republic one after I finish this, simply because the difference is insignificant but the Nature Republic one is much more accessible and cheaper.

Tony Moly Cucumber Water Gel



Finally, Tony Moly Cucumber Gel. Well to be honest, the only reason I bought this is because I wanted something that is squeezable. Most soothing gel comes in a bulky round container. Unless if I want to keep dipping my fingers inside, I must look for alternative that allows me to just squeeze the product out. The product looks like cucumber though.



The product is the lightest in term of consistency among all four. It is just like a very light watery gel, kinda similar to Belif Numero 10 Essence. You can use this to cool, freshen and hydrate your skin from time to time, as and when you need it. You can also carry it around in your bags everywhere in the summer. The smell is also quite mild like cucumber too.

Won't say that this is really special if compared to the Nature Republic aloe vera soothing gel, but definitely this Tony Moly one is more suitable for summer whereas Nature Republic focuses more on hydration.

10 WAYS TO USE A SOOTHING GEL


FINAL THOUGHT

Soothing gel is more or less the same. I can't really tell the difference between the four: Nature Republic, Mamonde, Tony Moly and The Face Shop. There might be some distinctions in term of consistency and ingredients but the difference is minor. I like to use Nature Republic as the standard of all soothing gel. It is very lightweight, hydrating, smells heavenly and uses a lot of moisturizing ingredients. The Face Shop is a tad more viscous, but definitely more moisturizing than Nature Republic. Mamonde is also slightly richer in term of consistency if compared to Nature Republic. Between Mamonde and The Face Shop, I like Mamonde better because it gives a nice moisturizing effect that is non-sticky unlike The Face Shop which can feel a little bit tacky on your skin. Tony Moly is the lightest in term of consistency, but it can refresh and hydrate your skin really well though.

Honestly, don't think there is a major difference between all soothing gel I have tried. And I don't think I will keep trying in the future. I saw The Face Shop coming up with a lotus and milk ones but I find them kinda "meh" when I swatch them on my hand in the store. Innisfree aloe vera appears quite promising too without many harsh ingredients and strong fragrance so you guys can give that a try if you have sensitive skin and nose. I also enjoy Innisfree  bamboo soothing gel, which I think is a better (and more expensive) product than The Face Shop's bamboo. Overall, I still think Nature Republic is the best but even if you din't buy the Nature Republic one, there is nothing to be fret because other ones are more or less the same. In Malaysia, due to increased competition, Nature Republic aloe vera soothing gel is sold at RM 14-15 online, which is damn cheap so I also see no reason getting ones from other brands unless if you are bored of Nature Republic and want something new.

These are my 2 cents on soothing gel and I hope that it will help you make better choices in the future! Ja-ne!


Overall Impression
Nature Republic: ★★ (repurchasing? 100%)
The Face Shop: ★★ (repurchasing? 0%)
Mamonde: ★★ (repurchasing? 50%)
Tony Moly: ★★ (repurchasing? 50%)

You can get this from: Hermo | Koreadepart | Althea Korea | Jolse etc.
[Disclaimer] Products are purchased with my own money. All copyright of this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...