10 Jul 2017

Sunscreen 401: My Top 10 Holy Grail Sunscreens / SPF / Suncare Products


Many people asked me to share my favourite sunscreen products, after I posted a mega post on sunscreen tips, sun care knowledge, and reviews on multiple sunscreen products. So in this review, I will post about several sunscreens I used and liked in the past few years that will keep repurchasing. For those of you who don't know, I have normal to dry skin, and I have a general preference for lightweight, fast-absorbing and non-sticky sunscreens, so my opinion might be "biased" towards this direction. There are several products that I think would be more suitable for oily skin, which I have mentioned in my previous sunscreen reviews so you can check that one out if you are interested in reading further. Read on below to find out more about my top 10 sunscreen favourites.

  • Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF50+ PA++++ (2017 Version)
  • Cosrx Aloe Soothing Sun Cream SPF50+ PA+++
  • Hada Labo Perfect UV Gel SPF50+ PA++++
  • Kiehl's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50+ PA++++
  • Kiss Me Sunkiller Perfect Water Essence SPF 50+ PA++++
  • Kose Sekkisei Sun Protect Essence Gel SPF50+/PA++++
  • Laneige Sun Screen Aqua SPF35 PA++
  • L'Oreal Paris UV Perfect Super Aqua Essence SPF 50+ PA++++
  • Missha All Around Safe Block Aqua Sun Gel SPF50+/PA++++
  • Neogen Day-Light Protection Sun Screen SPF 50 PA+++


Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF50+ PA++++ (2017 Version)


This is one of my top 5 which I have repurchased numerous times. It is a lightweight and refreshing gel that feels like moisture bomb on the skin. This 2017 version is instilled with waterproofing properties to shield it against sweat. I won't say that there is a big difference between the 2015 and 2017 versions as both are equally lightweight using similar ingredients. This does leave a little bit of silicon-like film on the skin so you might not like it if you don't like anything silicony. Personally, I find this pleasant to use. It uses tinosorb to fence off UVA and tinosorb is a proven UVA filter so you don't have to worry about its sun-protecting ability.

Cosrx Aloe Soothing Sun Cream SPF50+ PA+++


This is the richest among all other sunscreens I have tried, but I still think that it is good. The product gets absorbed really quick into the skin, leaving a moist and silky finish. Dry skin will love this because it is really moisturizing yet non-sticky, but personally I prefer something fast-absorbing so that I can rush out in the morning. It is a bit rich so it may not be suitable for oily and combination skin though. Nice ingredients used, silky soft, and smells great too! Perfect for dry skin or winter time.

Hada Labo Perfect UV Gel SPF50+ PA++++



Actually, I think this is a well-made sunscreen and is better than Biore. It is a watery lotion that feels really hydrating and silky on the skin. But in Malaysia, this is retailed at around RM 50, even with discount it costs RM 40 so Biore is still a more affordable option since both sunscreens feel more or less the same. 

Kiehl's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50+ PA++++


I love Kiehl's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense for its lightweight and gentle properties. It is made of nice ingredients and very good UVA filters so you will love this if you are an outdoor person. The sunscreen also gets absorbed almost immediately into the skin, leaving a soft and moist finish. My only complaint about this sunscreen is its price. It is really expensive, priced at RM 150 for 30ml, which is 4-5 times more than normal sunscreen. I am not ready to pay that much for a sunscreen that can only last me for one month or less so I might not repurchase in the future.

Kiss Me Sunkiller Perfect Water Essence SPF 50+ PA++++


Kiss Me Sunkiller is like a non-alcohol version of Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence. Since it doesn't contain any alcohol, you will find the Kiss Me one even greasier and silicony than Biore, and gets absorbed slower. But due to the same reason, sensitive skin that is also oily who cannot use the Biore can now use this. It is equally lightweight, gel-like but not as refreshing and as fast-absorbing. It is also more moisturizing than Biore. I am not sure will I repurchase this because I don't like the slight greasiness it leaves on my skin. 

Kose Sekkisei Sun Protect Essence Gel SPF50+/PA++++


One of my top 5 sunscreen. This is a lightweight, moisturizing, refreshing and heavenly-smelling sunscreen that feels silky and velvety on the skin. It has high SPF and PA too, as well as a bunch of botanical extracts with protective properties against UV damage and aging. Unit price is RM 80-100 but you get 80ml products for that so I think it is really reasonable considering that Kose is a reputable skincare brand.

Laneige Sun Screen Aqua SPF35 PA++


Considering the money you are paying per ml, I think this is a pricey product, but it is really good. It has only SPF 35 and PA++, but it contains UVA1 filter, so I think it is enough for office use. It feels like a sunscreen version of the cult-favourite Laneige Water Bank Essence. I think I would keep repurchasing like nobody's business if I can get hold of this at half price (i.e. ~RM 50), because low-cost maintenance is key for a sunscreen product. I cannot afford paying close to RM 100 per month for a tube of sunscreen when I can it get it for just RM 30 elsewhere.

L'Oreal Paris UV Perfect Super Aqua Essence SPF 50+ PA++++


This is a less expensive version if you are a fan of mexoryl, an excellent UVA1 filter. This retails for RM 45 (with almost zero discount) for 30ml, which makes 50ml roughly RM 75, just a little bit cheaper than Laneige Aqua Sun Gel. It is very lightweight, fairly moisturizing and gets absorbed pretty quick into the skin. Unlike Laneige, this will leave a little bit of tackiness on the skin, giving you the confidence that this is actually a sunscreen not sun essence, so it is safer for outdoor purposes. I really like this and I always use this whenever I go out the house and will get exposed to the sun.

Missha All Around Safe Block Aqua Sun Gel SPF50+/PA++++



Just like Laneige Sun Aqua Gel, this Missha feels like watery essence than sunscreen. It is made of avobenzone so you should not use it with other titanium dioxide and zinc dioxide sunscreens to avoid complications. I really like how this feels on my skin, and it is cheap so you won't break your wallet for it. It is lightweight, refreshing, moisturizing and affordable. You should avoid this if your goal is physical sunscreen. Other than that, I would highly recommend this to everybody!

Neogen Day-Light Protection Sun Screen SPF 50 PA+++


I think other than the scent, there is nothing really that I dislike about this sunscreen! It is a lightweight lotion that gets absorbed into the skin really fast, it contains zinc oxide for oily and sensitive skin, and it is surprisingly non-drying for my normal-to-dry skin type! The price is also quite affordable at only about RM 60. My only grumble about it is the scent. This smells like some kind of funky fruit and my nose doesn't like it. Other than that, this is great and I love it!

DROP-OFF LIST

AMPM 10 Peptide Ultra-light UV Lotion SPF30+ PA++


This used to be my top 1 holy grail sunscreen but I drop it off from my sunscreen repurchasing list because it doesn't have sufficient UVA1 protection. I also found other equally lightweight sunscreen so I don't think I want to risk insufficient UVA1 protection by going for this in the future.

Nature Republic Provence Calendula Fresh Sun Gel SPF30 PA++


I used to love using this because it is super lightweight, feels more like a moisturizing essence than a sunscreen and is very easily absorbed by the skin. But I don't think I'm gonna repurchase for the same reason that it has insufficient UVA1 protection.

FINAL THOUGHT


Normally in university, you only get to attend four levels of courses: 1XX, 2XX, 3XX and 4XX. Anything above 4XX is expert level and I ain't that expert to teach you Sunscreen 501 so I think our sunscreen series will end here.

I want to conclude it with top 10 sunscreens that I like. I will update this list from time to time, so that you guys are kept updated. So far these 10 are my current favourites and I can't decide which one I like the best so they are not in any orders. You can pick and choose according to your skin preference and need.

Hope you enjoy my sharing today and I'll see you in my next post! Ja-ne!

[Disclaimer] Product is purchased with my own money. All copyright of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...