9 Aug 2017

Review: Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water


We always say "you get what you pay for" when it comes to goods and services. But have you ever wondered sometimes you get way more than what you usually pay with the right product?

If you follow my blog, you know that I am not new to cleansing water. I have tried many cleansing water, from Hada Labo (well, it is actually a gel liquid type cleansing water), Innisfree, Nature Republic, Etude House, Laneige, The Saem, Neogen, Illi, to Huxley. Most of them are priced around RM 50-100 for 300-500ml. The Saem is the cheapest, at only RM 15-20 but the quality is also quite "meh". So I have a rough idea on what cleansing water should be, and its associated price. Rarely do I expect to get good results from something that costs me only about RM 20-25, because that would be too good to be true. However, in today's case, I really see miracle with this gorgeous Micellar Cleansing Water from L'Oreal Paris Garnier, and I know I must share it with you guys!



I bought this Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water from Hermo Malaysia several months ago when it was first launched. I have a few other cleansing waters at that time, and I was in the mood of trying out cleansing waters from different brands so "without-knowingly" I ended up buying a lot from Hermo and Gmarket. Too much, I would say. A cleansing water (300ml) can last me for a good 4-6 months, so basically more isn't better because you won't be able to finish them.

I opened this Garnier one after my "meh" experience with Neogen Real Flower Cleansing Water Rose. I thought I could get good results from it since it is not cheap (NP: RM 79), but I was disappointed. So I thought oh well why don't I try out this cheaper one to see if it is equally good since my memory on Neogen is still fresh. I don't want to do a comparison review based on sole memory. If Garnier is good, I can tell all my readers to opt for Garnier (NP: RM 25) instead of going for something 2-4 times its price!

Just like The Saem, Garnier didn't spend unnecessary money on its packaging. But it still looks cute. The bottle is made of soft plastic, so I am positive that it will break if you drop it from higher ground. Despite its simplicity, the product does not leak no matter how I try to shake it. The packaging is quite practical I would say, just make sure that you don't pour too much of the product at one time.


The one I got is an imported version, so it has Thai, English and Malay written on the packaging. Basically, this product claims that it can remove makeup (even eyes and lips makeup) and cleanse your skin at the same time without the need for rinsing afterward. It is dermatologically and ophtalmologically tested, and is suitable for sensitive skin. You are required to finish this within 6 months. The pink version is designed for normal-to-dry skin whereas the blue version is more suitable for oilier skin.


The product looks and feels completely like water, but more like a lightweight soapy water because of the surfactant content. If you shake it, you will see a lot of fine bubbles formed on the surface of the product. It has a slightly sour/alkaline scent to it but not unpleasant.

To use, you just have to soak the product with a cotton pad and swipe it along your skin texture to melt away makeup and impurities. Hold it for longer for waterproof and tinted makeup around your eyes and lips. No rinsing is required.

INGREDIENTS

Aqua/Water, Hexylene Glycol, Glycerin, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Disodium EDTA, Poloxamer 184, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS


This product uses really simple ingredients with a fairly good rating on CosDNA. Although it claims to be tested on human skin and eyes, but there is no report indicating the results of the test so I cannot draw a conclusion based on those claims at its face value.

Main ingredient here is water, whereas hexylene glycol, disodium cocamphodicetate, poloxamer 184 are the cleansing agents. Polyaminopropyl biquanide functions as a preservative here. Most of these cleansing agents show good safety rating on CosDNA. Hexylene glycol is a water soluble cleansing agent but a slight concern on its acne-causing and irritating tendency. Disodium cocamphodiacetate is a coconut oil derived cleansing agent that is fairly safe on the skin. The more problematic one is poloxamer 184, a synthetic cleansing agent that may be toxic to the body as claimed by EWG. Paula Choice's ingredients wiki, however, gives it a good rating. Polyaminopropyl biguanide is a less commonly used preservative, but has a relatively safe EWG rating where concerns on skin sensitivity is raised only at high concentration. You can visit its safety assessment here.

In short, the lack of fancy botanical extracts and fragrance really cut down the price by a lot. It also minimizes chance of skin irritation. The formula is not perfect but looks promising enough for a cleansing water at its price.

PERFORMANCE


As you can see, it remove most of my makeup except for lip tint. It could remove them if I hold it for longer or rub it a little but I normally don't do that to my skin. This works perfectly for those of you who like to remove your sunscreen and reapply your skincare middle of the day. It will also work well as a "beauty water" for sunscreen or makeup reapplication. It is also an effective first time cleanser in your evening routine if you wear lighter makeup. And since it is so cheap, I sometimes even use it to remove tints or dirt on my furniture, tools and even clothes.

I did not experience any discomfort or breakouts not rinsing this off my face. In fact, it feels like the Son & Park Beauty Water on my skin, which is quite refreshing and lightweight. It definitely feels much more comfortable than Neogen, The Saem, Etude House and Innisfree. It also doesn't leave my skin "squeaky clean" and dry even though I don't put on my skincare immediately after.

CONCLUSION


I am a reasonable consumer so I don't compare Garnier to Bioderma that costs 3x more than this, or Son & Park that is 4x pricier. But I must say that if you are looking for a cheaper alternative to both products, and you don't need Bioderma or Son & Park because your skin is too sensitive, then this is a perfect alternative. Forget about Neogen, Innisfree, Etude House, The Saem, Hada Labo, Laneige, Nature Republic and Illi, but Garnier outperforms them in term of cost-performance, effectiveness, and texture. And Garnier is cheaper.

If you normally use a cleansing water in your evening routine, where you will rinse it off, then any cleansing waters are fine as long as it can remove your makeup without excessive pulling. But Garnier is one of the cheapest.

If you use a cleansing water in the middle of the day, where rinsing is often not a convenience for you, then Garnier and Son & Park leaves almost no sticky or soapy residue on your skin. Son & Park has better ingredients, but Garnier is cheaper, so weight your priority.

However, if you want nice scented product, or pretty packaging, then Garnier is not for you. Again, YMMV so always weight your priority and preferences. Having said all these, yes, I will definitely recommend Garnier to all skin types and will continue to repurchase in the future!

Pros:
- very cheap (high CP)
- long lasting (5-6 months)
- doesn't leave any sticky, uncomfortable residue on the skin
- simple ingredients list

Cons:
- foams up a little so some people may not like it (but no sticky residue though)
- not effective at removing waterproof and tinted makeup (but many cleansing waters can't either)
- sour alkaline scent


Overall impression: ★★★★☆
Repurchasing: ★★★★★
You can get this from: Watson's | Hermo | Guardian etc. local drugstore and pharmacy
[Disclaimer] Product is purchased with my own money. All copyright of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...